(Excerpts from his speech at the inaugural session)
Ulrich Spiesshofer, Chief Executive Officer of ABB was present here today at the MOVE Global Mobility Summit 2018 at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi. He was one of the key industry leaders to deliver his thoughts at the inaugural session in the presence of Hon’ble Prime Minister of India.
For the first time in India, ABB showcased the Terra HP fast-charging system, which can power up a car for 200 km in just a single charge in just 8 mins. It is ideally suited for highway rest stops and petrol stations, where the highest power is required to minimize charging time.
In his address, Ulrich commended the Indian government for its ambitious, enlightened vision for transforming the transport system to e-mobility. He further highlighted a few of ABB’s pioneering technologies with which they looks forward to support India’s e-mobility revolution.
Excerpts from his speech at the summit:
- ABB’s presence in India dates back over a century, and we have been manufacturing here for 60 years.
- ABB is helping India to achieve its ambitious goals of:
– moving towards a stronger, smarter and greener grid,
– advancing industrial development through the “Make in India” initiative,
– and shifting towards a low-carbon, sustainable transport system.
- ABB is extremely proud and privileged to be partnering with the Indian government and Niti Aayog, as well as customers and technical institutes to support India’s development. In India, we are working with partners, including OEMs and Niti Aayog on EV charging models.
- Revolutionized EV charging infrastructure
– Seven years ago we revolutionized electric vehicle charging by using direct current, which reduced charging times to tens of minutes, rather than the many hours needed with AC.
– Today, ABB has the largest installed base of fast-chargers worldwide – 8,000 stations in 68 countries.
– A few months ago, at the Hanover industry fair in Germany, we launched a new record-breaking, new Terra High Power EV charger, which is able to deliver enough charge in just eight minutes to power an electric car for 200 kilometers. We’ve brought one of these fast-chargers to this event.
- ABB has been a leader in e-mobility for well over a century.
- We were one of the first companies to electrify railways, tunnels and trains
- ABB pioneered electric propulsion for ships
We are a technology leader in e-mobility for buses: our revolutionary flash-charging TOSA system keeps buses running all day with 20-second bursts at selected stops.
In his closing remarks, Ulrich said that India can leapfrog other nations by embracing e-mobility now, and become a world leader in sustainable transport, while reducing emissions and dependence on imported fossil fuels. At the same time, India can use e-mobility as a lever to move its industry up the value chain and to drive economic growth.