Morris Garages(MG) underpins their root in India by officially unveiling the Hector SUV ahead of its launch in June.
Hector is considered to be the brand’s first car to offer in India with the brand’s flagship connected program called ‘i-Smart next-generation system’. Moreover, the car set all its all potential to compete with the emerging SUV segment in India.
What’s inside the Connected features!
There are lot of modern connected features to be in offer. The I-Smart system combines hardware, software, connectivity, services and applications. In fact, The real-time navigation, Built-in apps, Emergency assist programs and endlessly the provision for system updates through Over-the-air(OTA) makes the car far apart. Moreover, visually interface through the large10.4 inch infotainment screen gives all the information at a glance and allows you to manage complete vehicle settings, with just a touch.
- Machine to Machine – M2M embedded sim can be inserted. The sim is , IPV6 ready for 5G, making use of faster connectivity options.
- The Voice assistance System, Programmed based on the Indian-English accent enhance better in-car commanding operations.
- E-Call, ensures the emergency assistance in case of accidents, E-Call is activated and a text message triggered. This message goes to the Pulse Hub with your Location. A call is made to the head unit immediately. In case of no response, the owner’s phone is called followed by emergency contact. In case owner does not respond or needs assistance, emergency response is initiated to offer speedy assistance.
- The Car comes with an embedded Gaana Premium Account. which provides a wide range of tunes to select from.
- Vehicle Health Monitoring– with the use of an application the realtime vehicle health conditions can be known.
- Remote Vehicle Control– A customer can remotely start the vehicle, control climate, sunroof, tailgate and door lock with just a few clicks through the i-Smart app.
- Geo Fence makes protection to the car by giving alerts if the car left the pre-set perimeter.
There are other features to taken into account, which will be discuss later on a review.
What make it a sensible SUV!
With an overall length of 4655mm and wheelbase of wheelbase of 2750mm, it is the longest offering in its segment. Moreover it offers a decent boot space of 587 litres. Hector is a very visually appealing suv in many ways, the DRL sandwiched between the front bumper and bonnet with some well contoured chrome treatment, while the projector headlamp placed in the bumper in a sense of contemporary fascia reception.
The ‘Star-rider’ grille is a key attraction at the front. While, move on the side, the character lines enhances the macho appearance. It is undoubtably that hector will have greater level of road presence compared to its rivals.
Upon interior, The 10.4 inch infotainment screen with above mentioned Connected features is a key attraction.In addition, the 360 degree camera really makes sense. In terms of utility, it has a 6-way adjustable driver seat,Push button start with key-less entry, powered ORVMs,Automatic wipers and headlights and so on. Moreover, the large panoramic sun-roof and 8 way mood lighting are sort of luxury add ons.
Concerning Safety, The entry-level Hector gets two airbags, ABS with EBD, ESP, traction control, rear parking sensors and disc brakes on all four wheels as standard. While the higher trims, The Smart and the Sharp have more number of air bags in offer.
Drive options, Hector comes with both Petrol and Diesel engines to choose from. The 1.5-litre turbo-petrol engine with 143hp and 250Nm of torque and 2.0-litre, diesel motor with 170hp and 350Nm of torque, which source from FCA. However, both these engine are BS IV compliant at the moment. Upon, transmission, Both engines are available with 6-speed manual box. Nevertheless, the turbo petrol has an option of DCT. Surprisingly, a 48 V mild-hybrid petrol variant is also in list. which in fact more fuel efficient than the regular petrol variant.
MG motors planned to avail the Hector SUV through their initial 50 dealership network and 120 touch points. The price is expected to be in the range of 15 to 20 lakhs.