London, 8th October 2018 – Creative greats from around the world gathered at the Design Museum for the eighth annual Land Rover BORN Awards. Honouring creative intelligence in six categories – architecture, interiors, sport, fashion, mobility and technology – the awards are a celebration of global design.
The award criteria – a product realised and available for the consumer to buy – drew 7,000 entries from six regions; the UK, Spain, Italy, France, the USA and the Rest of the World. From those entries 192 were narrowed down for the Regional Awards resulting in 48 winners, who were all were entered into the Land Rover BORN Global Awards.
List of winners:
– Architecture Prize: Cino Zucchi for the Lavazza headquarters in Turin Italy
– Sport and leisure Prize: Alexandre Fauvet for the revival French brand Fusalp
– Technology Prize: Javier Goyoneche for his innovative sustainable Spanish brand Ecoalf
– Interiors Prize: Michael Anastassiades Arrangement lights for Flos
– Mobility Prize: Will Butler-Adams for the eco-friendly Brompton Electric bike
– Fashion Prize: Ryan and Adam Goldston for their US design and performance brand APL
Three special prizes were also awarded:
- The Loewe Foundation for supporting and promoting creativity
- Scott Painter founder of Fair.com for his disruptive digital consumer product
- Nino Mustica, an artist and great friend of the Land Rover family who died last year
Awards founder Jean Christophe Chopin said: “To see creative intelligence displayed in such varied ways across so many different categories was the purpose of creating the awards eight years ago and its continued success and growth proves what a valuable platform it is to designers, both emerging and established.”
The theme of the 2018 awards was ‘peerless’. Gerry McGovern, Chief Design Officer, Land Rover, said: “Peerless is a term that continues to inspire me. A peerless design stands apart for all the right reasons. It alludes to the idea that there’s nothing else quite like it. It’s easy to be different, but to truly deserve the term ‘peerless’ takes imagination, intellect, wit and more than a little wisdom. That’s why it is the creative theme for the 2018 Land Rover BORN Awards. Each of the winners deserves the accolade.”
Awards judge Michelle Ogundehin, a writer, consultant and TV presenter, said: “the BORN Awards are an industry standard for quality in design. The creativity and ingenuity we discovered during the judging process was truly breath-taking.”
The 2019 awards theme will be ‘Desire’ Entrants can now register at www.born.com with the finalists showcased at Milan Design Week in April 2019.